July 10, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream Sundaes

Before this afternoon, I hadn't had an ice cream sundae in over 5 years. I don't think I'll ever make that mistake again. There's just something about vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup that's much more magical than chocolate ice cream. Although maybe I should try chocolate ice cream with vanilla sauce... Anyway, back to this week's ice cream. If you don't have vanilla beans, nor access to them, 3 tbsp of vanilla extract will work alright, but the vanilla bean is worth the effort too.

Oh, and I've just launched a new page on the site called Shop. Lots of new stuff should be coming soon, but go over and check it out if you'd like. I'd sure appreciate it. And please feel free to shoot me an email and let me know what you'd like to see in there. Now, on to the recipe. The ice cream is of my own creation and the dark chocolate syrup recipe is from On Baking, by Sarah Labensky et al.

Ingredients:

  • 2.5 cups heavy cream
  • 2 vanilla beans
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3 oz sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 2 oz cocoa powder
  • 12 oz water
  • 8 oz sugar
  • 3 oz butter
  • 1 oz heavy cream



Directions:
  1. First, bring the 2.5 cups of heavy cream and the vanilla beans to a simmer in a saucepan and steep for 20 minutes.
  2. Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and salt.
  3. Temper the egg yolks into the cream by whisking them with a bit of hot cream and then stirring that back into the rest of the cream.
  4. Heat this, stirring often, until it thickens slightly. Or cook to 170 degrees if you want to use a thermometer.
  5. Chill this mixture and pour it into your ice cream maker.
  6. While this chills, mix together the cocoa powder and enough water to make a paste.
  7. Combine the rest of water and the sugar in a saucepan and heat to a boil.
  8. Then whisk in the cocoa paste and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes.
  9. Remove the syrup from the heat and stir in the butter and the heavy cream until melted and uniform.
  10. Once everything is made,  top the ice cream with syrup, chopped nuts, cherries, or whatever else you like.

What's your favorite sundae topping?
Share on Tumblr submit to reddit

1 comment:

  1. I thought I had looked at all your posts, but somehow I missed this one. This looks like a darned good ice cream recipe, and so does the sauce.

    Is that a new header, or has it been that way all along? At any rate, I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete