August 11, 2011

More chocolate chip cookies

Today, I baked chocolate chip cookies. I baked them because chocolate chip cookies are nearly the best dessert to make when you're short on time. And because everyone loves them. Today I wanted to bake something and then get back outside. At this point in the year, my mentality is to snatch any sun I can. It's possible that this will be the last, the way this summer is going. But I'm so glad I made these, because they're a different kind of chocolate chip cookie. They're a lot like the chocolate chip cookies you find in an ice cream sandwich. My favorite plain old chocolate chip cookies are still Jacques Torres's, but these are awesome ice cream sandwich vessels. And they're from one of my favorite books, In the Sweet Kitchen by Regan Daley.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons AP Flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 16 oz chocolate chunks
Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs and vanilla, scraping down the bowl between additions.
  4. Sift the flour, soda, and salt together and add to the dough until just combined.
  5. Knead in chocolate chunks.
  6. Spoon onto baking sheets and bake for 12 to 17 minutes until golden.

Share on Tumblr submit to reddit

4 comments:

  1. They look delicious and made a very attractive cookie. Were they different for you because they are cakier than Jacques'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly it. They did make great ice cream sandwiches, and I think they would make awesome M&M cookies, but if I just want a cookie to eat, I'd rather make Jacques'. But I'm a firm believe that everyone should try as many chocolate chip cookies in her/his life as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I baked these tonight. I found that the dough was really dry, I added an extra egg to try to fix this and in the the cookies ended up being more cake like. Where did I go wrong, aside from the extra egg?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's my guess that the extra moisture from the egg was a bit /too/ much. Next time you find the dough really dry, try letting the dough sit in the refrigerator overnight. It tends to distribute the moisture better.

    It's possible that the discrepancy between our two outcomes was from different sized eggs or different water content in our butters.

    In any case, happy baking :)

    ReplyDelete