June 23, 2011

My first sugar cookies


I don't know what it is about shaped cookies that drive people crazy, but it seems everyone loves them. Seen a kid dismember a gingerbread man lately? I rest my case. Shaped cookies make the action of eating a cookie almost as pleasant as the taste. So I headed over to one of my favorite blogs to check out her recipe for sugar cookies. These cookies come courtesy of Ms. Humble over at NotSoHumblePie. The recipe for the dough can be found here. And the recipe for the royal icing is one I've adapted from a few different places. Just add a splash of whatever extract you'd like for flavor.
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb powdered sugar
  • 1 oz pasteurized egg whites
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • Splash of flavoring
Directions:
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a mixer and mix for about 1 minute.
  2. Add water until the icing is soft, but still holds a peak. This will probably be somewhere around 2-3 ounces.
  3. Pipe the outline with this icing, then add more water for the "flooding." If you have little tips sticking up out of your outline, you can smooth them down by dipping your finger in water and smoothing out the icing.
Note: Ms. Humble also has a quite nice royal icing tutorial, if you're interested.

And that's it. Let the icing hard for at least an hour, and enjoy!
What's the coolest or funniest shape you've seen for sugar cookies?
Share on Tumblr submit to reddit

5 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures Jacob! And as for the question, that's a toughie. To be honest I've never made sugar cookies myself (for some reason I'm a cake/cupcake/scone person more) but I absolutely love visiting sweetsugarbelle.com to see all of her creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eve! Checking out her stuff definitely gives me inspiration for my next round of cookies. I'm awed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great - the icing sounds like a good recipe to try.

    I think flip-flop shaped cookies are the funniest, such as those on this website: http://thebakingsheet.blogspot.com/2010/07/flip-flop-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I'm definitely going to have to try out that recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that I love sugar cookies in the shape of every day items like teapots, spoons and forks, clothing articles.

    Everything looks better in miniature form and is even better that it is edible.

    The cutest sugar cookies I've ever seen were the ones that had a kitchen theme including a Kitchen Aid. I've also seen an awesome cookie which was decorated as a tray of gingerbread men on a cookie sheet.

    ReplyDelete