August 27, 2011

Egg Custard Tarts

A week or so ago, a friend sent me a link to Serious Eats' write-up on the best egg custard tarts in New York. I knew I wanted to make them right away. I've never had one, but they sounded not-too-sweet and absolutely delicious. But alas, I was neck deep in my series on cake and they got put off. Until today.

These were nice and easy (since I already had puff pastry in the freezer) and were a great late-afternoon project. The filling recipe makes enough filling for about a pound of puff pastry, rolled to about 1/4 inch thick, not counting the scraps.

Makes: Approximately 9 tarts

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb puff pastry, thawed
  • 4 oz water
  • 4 oz evaporated milk
  • 1.5 oz sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Roll out the puff pastry to 1/4 inch thick and cut rounds approximately 3 inches across (or use tartlet pans). Place the puff pastry into muffin tins, stretching the dough as little as possible. Freeze for 10 minutes.
  3. Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Fill shells with custard to about 3/4 full.
  4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until custard is set.
Have you ever had these before? What's your favorite thing about egg custard tarts?
Share on Tumblr submit to reddit

No comments:

Post a Comment