July 27, 2011

Lemon Sushi

I've always loved a good dinner of albacore and rice pudding. Something about the combo just makes my mouth water. It's never enough just for dinner, though. I always crave more when dessert comes. And now I can satisfy those cravings, with lemon rice pudding and albacore tuna together in tulipe shell for this awesome dessert sushi.

If you're still reading, I'll assume it's in some sort of revolted horror. Relax, relax, this isn't the train-wreck you're dreading. For starters, I don't even eat fish. And if I did, I'm sure I would never touch it again after eating such an... interesting... combo. I couldn't resist starting the post that way, though, since I know something like it was in the back of everyone's mind when they saw the title.

If you have had dessert sushi before, I do it a little differently. A lot of people use fruit leather as a wrapper, since it's a lot like nori, but I like a crunch with my desserts. If you like some crunch, too, eat these soon after you make them. If you wait too long, the shells get soggy, which is no fun for anyone involved.

Ingredients:

  • 2 oz butter
  • 2 oz powdered sugar
  • 2 oz flour
  • 2 oz egg whites
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup short-grain rice
  • .8 fl oz lemon juice
  • 1.4 oz sugar
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest
  • 4 oz heavy cream
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp water



Directions:
  1. First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Melt the butter, then stir in the sugar, followed by the flour. Then add the egg whites and stir until uniform.
  3. Then prepare your stencil. Draw a rectangle of desired sushi roll size on a piece of cardboard and cut it out, saving the outside section.
  4. On a baking sheet lined with parchment, place the stencil down and spoon a bit of batter into the stencil and scrape off the excess with an offset spatula.
  5. Bake for approximately 6 minutes, until they start to get golden brown. When you pull them out, let them cool for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then peel them from the paper and form them into circles. Small pieces of PVC pipe work awesome, but I also wrap them around an appropriately sized handle or into any other circle I can find. If they get too brittle and start to crack while you're working with them, throw them back in the oven for a minute or two.
  6. While these harden a bit, start the rice pudding. Begin by cooking the rice in the water.
  7. Once the rice is cooked, add it to a saucepan along with all of the other ingredients. Bring to a boil and boil for two minutes.
  8. Fill a piping bag with a large round tip or a coupler only and pipe the rice into the shells.
  9. For added sushi effect, candy strips of lemon peel and insert into the middle of the roll.



Share on Tumblr submit to reddit

2 comments:

  1. Actually, this lemon sushi can be filled with any ingredient. This is a must recipe for lemon sushi fans! I have made this over a long time, and will do it again because I saw your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, these look very impressive :) i've wanted to try this sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete