July 13, 2011

Peanut Butter Jelly Cupcakes

Sometimes I bake late at night. As anyone who has ever seen Michael Jackson's "Thriller" music video can tell you, weird stuff happens at night. And weird, in baking, can be a good thing.

Maybe some of you have seen the website Bake It in a Cake. If you haven't, stop reading now and go check it out. Some of the cupcakes on that site had me in stitches. I mean, baklava inside a cupcake? I'm totally obsessed with the concept. I'm even thinking of making it a weekly feature on the blog. But the first one I ever tried to make for myself was peanut butter and jelly sandwich filled cupcakes. This was possibly a mistake, if only for the fact that I'm now hopelessly addicted. I like to make mine with white cake and a buttercream flavored with jelly. Otherwise I think the peanut butter overpowers the jelly. So without further ado, the recipe.

Makes: 10-12 cupcakes

Ingredients:

  • 4 slices of bread
  • Peanut Butter
  • Jelly
  • 1 1/2 cups AP flour
  • 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 4 oz butter, softened
  • 2 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 tbsp of your favorite jam or jelly(I like raspberry or grape)

Directions:
  1. Make two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and cut them into rounds, roughly the size of your muffin tins.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
  3. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  4. Cream the 1/3 cup butter with the granulated sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides occasionally.
  5. Beat the egg in thoroughly, scraping down the sides once.
  6. Add the vanilla.
  7. Mix the sour cream and the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating.
  8. Spoon a small amount of the batter into your prepared muffin tins. Top that bit with a round of sandwich, and fill the tin the rest of the way up with batter.
  9. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick comes clean out of the cake section.
  10. Next, beat the 4 oz of butter and the powdered sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the jam and a bit of water, if needed. Pipe this buttercream onto your cooled cupcakes and enjoy.

P.S. It's been so awesome to see so many comments and views this past month, as well as to see my photos on people's tumbler pages. You guys and gals are amazing!

P.P.S. If you haven't checked out the shop tab, I urge you to head on over and let me know what you think! New stuff is going in all the time. Anything you'd like to see?

Totally unrelated question: When you visit food blogs, do you like to see content in addition to recipes, or just recipes?
Share on Tumblr submit to reddit

1 comment:

  1. that is hilarious, i'm not sure if i would like it!?
    i like content, makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete