July 5, 2011

The start of month two and the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever eaten

Let me start off by saying thank you to all of you who've visited Confectious in the last month. Your pageviews and great comments have been a real blessing. And to all of you visiting for the first time, thanks for making (fingers crossed) this month even better.

These cookies are based on Jacques Torres's chocolate chip cookies. In fact I set out to make that recipe. Due to a lack of foresight, however, I ran out of butter, so I substituted in some yogurt. And I used all AP flour, since I'm out of cake flour. They turned out amazing (though I have yet to make the normal recipe from Jacques). Maybe I'll make up some following the recipe to the letter and compare them, but for now, here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:

  • 8 oz butter at room temperature
  • 10 oz brown sugar
  • 8 oz granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup yogurt
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 17 oz AP flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 lb chocolate, chunked




Directions:
  1. First, get the butter and the sugar creaming until nice and fluffy.
  2. While that is happening, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Next, add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter and sugar mixture, letting each incorporate fully before adding the next.
  4. Stir the vanilla and yogurt into the butter mixture.
  5. Mix together the butter and the dry ingredients until combined. Mix in the chunked chocolate.
  6. Chill the dough overnight.
  7. Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
Truthfully, the cookies are great if you don't let them chill overnight, too.

Do you have a go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe?
What's your favorite characteristic in chocolate chip cookies?
Share on Tumblr submit to reddit

2 comments:

  1. Your cookies look delicious, and how clever to sub yogurt! I am amazed at the versatility of yogurt.

    I am very fond of Alton Brown's "The Chewy", but I am always experimenting with chocolate chip cookies. The last time I made them with a tablespoon of Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of the milk.

    It's hard to narrow my favorite characteristic to one, so I will give you two. ;) I like them to be slightly crisp on the edges and soft inside - real original, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why substitute what you really like for originality? I'll definitely have to try Alton's - he always has great recipes.

    ReplyDelete